9 Digital Breakouts for the Online Research Skills topics most relevant to upper elementary and middle school students. By the end of completing these challenges, students will be ready to dig into online research confidently.
- This activity can be done in Google Slides or PowerPoint, so it is flexible to meet your technology needs.
Each Individual Resource Includes:
- There are 6 codes to find and they require a mix of technology skills, so this makes a great partner or small group activity.
- Students learn about and practice making decisions about the different Online Research Skills, which are:
- Search Engines
- Advanced Search
- Ads in Search Results
- Web Pages
- Which Results to Choose- Judging Online Information
- Evaluate a Web Page
- Taking Notes
- Copyright Rules
- Citing Sources – Avoiding Plagiarism
- Something that makes these digital breakouts unique is that they also include a reading passage on the topic, making it very relevant to today’s students. Each Reading passage includes 4-6 vocabulary words on the topic.
Info for the teacher to consider:
- Most groups should be able to complete it in 30-45 minutes.
- If this is your first digital breakout then I recommend solving the puzzles as a whole group activity.
- With this resource you will receive a link to a Google Slides file. From there you can share your copy of the Slides file with your students, or download it as a PowerPoint file to share that way.